First Stiglitz Essay Prizepublished: April 12, 2015
The International Economic Association (IEA) is happy to announce the first Stiglitz Essay Prize in honour of the past President of the association, Joseph E. Stiglitz. This prize is possible thanks to the generous donation that the Economic Society of Australia pledged to the IEA.
Joseph E. Stiglitz is University Professor at Columbia University. In 2001, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in economics for his analyses of markets with asymmetric information. He was the President of the International Economic Association from 2011 to 2014.
The prize is open to any student in full time study. The essay can be up to 5,000 words on one of the subjects below. There will be a pre-selection process in charge of a team of school judges selected by the IEA. The shortlisted essays will go to the judges: Joseph E. Stiglitz (Columbia University and IEA past President), Timothy Besley (London School of Economics and IEA President) and Kaushik Basu (World Bank and IEA President Elect).
To be eligible for the prize, submitted essays should be on one of two broad themes reflecting Professor Stiglitz’s interests:
- The causes and policy consequences of growing inequality
- The reconstruction of macro-economics and proposals for new approaches that speak to the weaknesses in modelling revealed by the 2008 global crisis
All applicants are asked to note the following criteria:
- Only one essay per person will be accepted
- The maximum word count for essays is 5,000 words (the word count should appear at the end of each essay)
- The word count includes footnotes, but excludes references and bibliography.
- All of those who submit an essay should submit proof through a signed letter from an appropriate official at an academic institution that he or she is currently registered as a full-time student.
- No revisions to entries are permitted once submitted
- Please note that entries to the competition should be unique (i.e. not published elsewhere or submitted to other essay competitions.)
- Entries must be submitted in either Microsoft Word (doc, docx) format or PDF format. No other formats are acceptable.
The deadline for submitting essays is Saturday 31 October 2015 at 2359 hours (GMT).
Please send submissions to the IEA Secretariat on firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject your name as follows: SEP_LAST NAME_Name.
Any queries on the competition should be also addressed to the IEA Secretariat on the same email address.
The winner of the Stiglitz Essay Prize will be announced in early 2016, with the prize presentation to be made in a ceremony at the next IEA World Congress in 2017. The winner of the Stiglitz Essay Prize will win 1,000 USD, and the runner(s)-up will receive 500 USD. The winning essay and runner(s) up will be published on the IEA website.
This page was updated on 02.09.2015 to show the extended deadline for submitting essays.