Call for applications: Introduction to Data Analysis for the Social Sciencespublished: March 16, 2017
22 – 26 May 2017
The Arab Council for the Social Sciences (ACSS) is pleased to announce a five-day intensive workshop in quantitative data analysis for the social sciences co-organized with the Odum Institute, a research institute housed at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill (USA). The workshop will be held in Beirut, Lebanon and is designed for graduate students in the social sciences who need a grounded introduction to quantitative data methods for use in their thesis/dissertation research.
Workshop Format & Topics
The five-day workshop will cover a variety of introductory topics in quantitative data analysis:
- Mean, Median, and Mode
- Confidence Intervals
- Independent and Dependent Variables
- ANOVA (analysis of variance)
- Hypothesis Testing
Nationality & Residence
- Applicants must be citizens of an Arab League member state or nationals of an Arab country (defined as long-term residents, even if they do not hold citizenship as in the case of refugees or stateless residents).
- Applicants must reside in the Arab region. ACSS will not fund participants who study outside the region.
Educational Degree & Language Ability
- Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate (Master’s or PhD) program in the social sciences at a university in the Arab region. The core social science fields include anthropology, demography, economics, education, political science, psychology and sociology.
- Applicants should have a foundational understanding of mathematics (taken through advanced courses in secondary school or elementary courses in university) and general social science methodology.
- Applicants must have at least an intermediate level of English language proficiency, as the workshop will be conducted in English.
- Application Process and Selection
- Applicants are required to submit the following materials (in English) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 pm (Beirut time) on April 10, 2017:
- Personal statement outlining professional and research goals (2 pages maximum)
- Proof of enrollment at a university in the Arab region (this can be provided in Arabic)
- CV/Resume of applicant
- Copy of valid passport or identification card
The deadline for applications is 5:00 pm (Beirut time) on April 10, 2017.
Download more information on the workshop and how to apply.