On 2 July we become the International Science Council. Follow our 5 July launch event livepublished: July 1, 2018
On 2 July, the ISSC will merge with the International Council for Science (ICSU) to become the International Science Council.
The launch of the International Science Council will be celebrated with a Science Day at the Maison des Océans in Paris, featuring leading scientists including Craig Calhoun, Esther Duflo, Ismail Serageldin and Cedric Villani showcasing the kind of issues the new organization will be working on.
The programme will include addresses by high-level representatives of the French government and the United Nations, as well as by the first President of the International Science Council.
Registrations are now closed, but you can follow the event via livestream at the following address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SKe7HhYCw, between 9.00 – 18.00 CEST.
- Sébastien Candel, Président de l’Académie des Sciences
- President of the International Science Council (will be elected on 4 July)
- Audrey Azoulay, UNESCO Director-General
- Thierry Coulhon, Advisor to the President of France – Education, Higher Education, Research and Innovation
11:15–12:30: A voice for science in the contemporary world
Moderator: Craig Calhoun, Berggruen Institute
- Cédric Villani, Académie des Sciences and member of the French National Assembly
14:00–16:15: Advancing science as a global public good
Moderator: Nick Ishmael-Perkins, journalist and communications consultant
- Esther Duflo, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab
- Panel discussion: Carolina Adler, Mountain Research Initiative; Grégoire Borst, Université Paris Descartes; Herbert Docena, University of the Philippines, Diliman; Tolullah Oni, University of Cape Town
16:45–17:45: Advancing science as a global public good (cont.)
- Ismail Serageldin, Founding Director and Emeritus Librarian of the Library of Alexandria