Transformations to Sustainability
A website for the Transformations to Sustainability programme was launched in August 2017. Please note that the most up-to-date information about the programme can be found on the dedicated site.
The Transformations to Sustainability (T2S) programme supports research to help advance transformations to more sustainable and equitable societies around the globe. By generating knowledge that produces a broader and deeper understanding of the conditions, processes, outcomes and impacts of transformative social change in the context of global environmental change, the programme is intended to:
- Help craft more effective, durable and equitable solutions to the problems of environmental change and sustainability, in a context of social and cultural diversity;
- Promote the habitual use of the best knowledge about social transformations by researchers, educators, policy makers, practitioners, the private sector and citizens.
To achieve its goals, the programme is pioneering a comprehensive new approach to supporting research for sustainability:
- Mobilising social scientists from diverse disciplinary backgrounds to get involved in solutions-oriented research for sustainability;
- Enabling social scientists to frame and lead interdisciplinary research with partners from the natural sciences;
- Building capacity research for international research collaboration by enabling researchers in low- and middle-income countries to lead international research projects, and by promoting research career development;
- Encouraging researchers to take the cross-border nature of sustainability challenges into account in internationally comparative research designs with international research teams;
- Supporting co-designed and co-produced research involving academic and societal partners operating from local to global level, from beginning to end of the research and dissemination process.
In practice, the T2S programme has funded 38 seed projects (September 2014 to March 2015) and three Transformative Knowledge Networks (December 2015 to December 2018).
The programme will build on the networks of knowledge gathered through the seed projects and Transformative Knowledge Networks to create and leave behind a lasting Global Knowledge Trust on transformations to sustainability.
Read more about the seed grants.
Read more about the Transformative Knowledge Networks.
The Transformations to Sustainability programme represents a significant contribution to Future Earth, the global research platform providing knowledge and support to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world.
The Transformations to Sustainability Programme is supported by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). Ad hoc additional support for seed grants was provided by the ESRC/Newton Fund, SSEESS, NWO and NRF, while the NRF has also been an implementing partner in the call for proposals for Transformative Knowledge Networks.